Friday, November 01, 2013

We Didn't Start the Fire

I hope I can assume that anyone who might visit this blog is familiar with Billy Joel's We Didn't Start the Fire.

If you google around, you can find some fun videos that match visuals to each line of the song. I've used them to demonstrate the difference between listening to the song alone and listening to it with visual aides for my teacher ed students who might otherwise not understand the huge difference multiple modes of instruction make to their emerging bilingual students (aka English language learners).

For me this fall has been unusually light. I've had some important stuff to work on for school, but I have fewer students to supervise this fall and fewer sections to teach and I'm not taking any classes, so I even had some goof-off time.

That's over. It's so over that in looking at my schedule for the next two weeks it reads an awful lot like the frenetic pace of WDSTF.

Now part of it is just bad luck. I have a lot to get done in the next two weeks to prepare for my proposal defense and that's just all there is to it. The twins' musical rehearsals start. Thankfully, they're only in the ensemble cast, but Monday is the first rehearsal and they can't miss it. So is Milo's flute lesson. I haven't figured out how that one will work out yet.

I have a lot of prep work to get done before Christmas so I can start my dissertation project in January, and I learned on Thursday that it has  to be done as soon as possible since the school board in the district I want to work with doesn't meet in December (this is really common among central PA schools, anyway. They meet twice in November and skip December.)

The World Languages field experience has a week and a half left to it, so I'm in the middle of final formal evaluations, final lesson plan feedback, getting signatures on all the graduation certificates from TPTB, and making sure we have enough space for all the parents to gather for the graduation day.

Ben and Milo turn 12 two weeks from tomorrow. This is a big deal in our church. It's not a lot for me to plan (they're hoping to have two friends over for a sleepover) but there is definitely some planning involved and it's feeling like more than it is with the other stuff crowding in.

And Max is about to go into tech week(s)...heck, because the performances of The Birds at the high school is the same weekend as the twins' birthdays and of course, I'm the flower committee. Thank. heavens. that is a light responsibility.

Thanksgiving is going to be a cake walk in comparison. In fact, I hearby swear I'm not even going to think about it until Nov. 18. Except to buy groceries at Giant so I can get the free turkey. Also it  helps in writing this out that I can see that for half the list the issue is really just for the next two weeks.

And a bunch of writing to do, but that's like saying "also some laundry and dishes."

I'm going to need a new play list. With Eye of the Tiger or something.

It's just two weeks. I can do anything for two weeks (okay, not tennis, but you get me).

No comments: