Thursday, September 21, 2006

Knit One, Rip Two

Milo requested that I knit him a new "indoor" sweater. An indoor sweater is one that can be worn straight against the skin, no shirt under it. An "outdoor" sweater is one that must be worn over other clothing.

I looked through my stash, but my stash is really not that big anymore and it yielded nothing that could be used for a new "indoor" sweater.

So I talked Chris into driving me to the yarn store in Centre Hall for a shopping trip. There, with the help of Ben and Milo--who were both in a deep red mood--I picked out some yarn for their new indoor sweaters. It frightens me that the washing directions for this yarn include about five steps and end in something like, "Or, you could just dry clean it."

I will knit them on the big side, for yeah and verily, they shalt be machine washed (and laid flat to dry). I got Cotton Fleece in Barn Red with the contrasting colors of Putty and Wolverine Blue. (In plain language, that's crayola red, with crayola blue, and enough for one stripe of a sort-of unbleached natural cotton. It's very patriotic looking, actually.)

I got home and cast on Chris's sweater all over again. After working on it for three hours I've about established that my best bet is to rip it out and start over AGAIN. Don't ask. But it's not the yarn and it's not the needle. It's just me and my willingness to start knitting without reading the directions first.

I think actually that the reason I struggled so much with Chris's sweater is that my friend had his second baby girl this morning, which means that the Universe would really like me to finish that baby's sweater and get it in the mail. I finished that baby's big sister's sweater yesterday and I'm a good halfway through the baby's sweater, but . . .

YAWN.

It's my third sweater in that same pattern. And I have one more baby boy sweater to go before I'm done.

I'll finish the first sleeve on the baby sweater and then see if maybe the Universe will let me finish one stinkin' row on Chris's sweater. Tomorrow. It's bedtime.

4 comments:

Becca said...

I just had to tell you that largely because of reading your blog, I've decided to learn to knit! I just purchased my first skein of yarn and set of needles, and I spent the whole evening practing casting on, knitting, and casting off. I can see why you love it so much. Very relaxing!

Dy said...

Oh, Alaska, just got all caught up. I hope the squirrels have backed off on the acorn throwing since Chris got back. And I'm SO happy that Max has a good coach and is getting the full-on guy treatment, or at least the good stuff in it. ;-)

The canning sounds wonderful. And it is good that you did it. There are times and seasons for everything, and autumn is a time for tending to the harvest. No shame in that.

Still love hearing about after the painting is done. Still painting, here. Or, rather, at this point, I fastidiously avert my eyes from what still needs painting. Still and all, I love getting caught up on life in your Forever Home with all the pups and the Wonderful Life. I hope you get the medicine to the right level soon so that you can take a deep breath and just absorb all the wonderfulness of it all. {{hugs}}

Dy

Anonymous said...

Hi! following the advice of one of the people who commented on your blog a few days ago, I finished the tomatoes last night by dumping them in a plastic bag (skinned), along with some peppers, and freezing them. It made me sad- as they taste so good! I miss them adready, and I do have some still in the refrig for eating. Now I am down to peppers- which I will either dry or freeze. And this summer canning season is put to bed. I haven't started the apple sauce yet- we really don't need much- but, as Connie says- it is so much fun!

The Queen said...

Eliza, if you mean it's a K1 P1 ribbing (little rows that stretch), then you look at the first stitch and if there is a bloop there, then you purl. If there is a loop there (and a bloop to the left of it) then you knit the first stitch.

If you mean seed stitch, which is very bumpy (and I love the way it looks) and not at all like ribbing, then you do the opposite. If there is a purl bloop there, then you knit. And if there is a knit loop there, then you purl.

Purling puts the bloop towards you. Knitting puts it away from you.

Clear as mud?