I'm making this sweater for Milo (and probably again for Ben):
The sweater has these three cabled stripes running vertically up it.
I don't do a lot of multi-color work and I'm not very good at it yet. When I first started I tried taking the red strands across the back but twisting the yarns in that way resulted in a lot of bulk. So I switched to an intarsia method which made for a smoother back. You can see where I made the switch.
And this is the front.
And that's so cheery and vibrant . . . but here're the problems:
1) the cables just don't transition very well from the main body. When I stretch the fabric out a little, it's just . . . messy! The stitches seem to pull oddly. Maybe that's normal for intarsia? I think probably not though and that it's a function of using 100% cotton at a relatively (for me) loose tension. It's not a smooth transition.
2) The label of the yarn says pretty much "Just so you know, it's 100% cotton and it's going to bleed like a bad head injury the first few times you wash this." (Actually, it says something cryptic about "color migration," but if my sweater is red and my cable is "natural" then that means I'm going to end up with a pink cable, I'm pretty sure.)
I really want to make this shirt/sweater for Milo. I love that my kids like the things I knit for them and I know that the other sweaters I'm making for them (still working on Max's) are just going to be too hot for anything more than outdoors. But I'm leaning very heavily towards ripping the whole thing back to the ribbing and reknitting in plain red. I'll keep the three cables--but this cotton is very snazzy and I think they'll pop just fine even in the same color.
Then the thing can run to its heart's content and the worst that will happen is that it fades to a nice muted red. At the rate these guys eat, they'll only get one season out of the shirt anyway.
Yep. I think I'm frogging back to the ribbing and doing it in a Big Boy Solid Red.