Thursday, October 19, 2006

Don't Blog for Me Argentina

I'm home! Much wallpaper was stripped and much primer and paint was applied. The finished product was an improvement over the original. We finished with enough time to move most of the furniture back into place, replace all the hardware, put up some new curtains, and eat a yummy salad at a nice local diner.

I couldn't have done it without the help of my Dad. My MIL was sick to death of the mess by the end, but somehow survived. And now I'm home and trying to get caught up on work. The only real drama? We were the fourth car back from a horrible traffic accident on a small highway on the way home. We weren't involved at all and by the time we came upon the accident a touring bus (vehicle #1) had positioned itself diagonally across the two lanes--completely blocking the kids' view of the twisted hunk of metal that had once been one of the cars. We saw the first confused-looking cop car though. We saw the fire truck and ambulence arrive. We saw the life-flight helicopter arrive (holy cow, that thing was seriously high tech). We watched the two "tow-trucks" arrive and haul the first vehicle away and the twisted pile of metal away. I prayed for the mothers who would get phone calls tonight. I prayed for the doctors who would receive the helicopter. I prayed for whomever was inside. There was plenty of time for that--we were there an hour and a half before the road reopened. We got home and put the kids to bed immediately--at 1:30 a.m. I let people wake naturally this morning. Max got to school at 10 a.m.

In the next 7 days I have gobs of work, two parent/teacher conferences for the three kids, the church primary program, a football game, GOBS of work, and all the usual kid activities. I bought more apples to make more pink apple sauce for Christmas. We got pumpkins for the obigatory pumpkin carving. We got halloween costumes (how I could have saved if I could sew). I didn't get any candy yet, but there's still time, right?

No comments: