Saturday, May 06, 2006

Comfort Food

One thing that happens when I go the sleep-deprivation route is that the next day I need comfort food in a horrible way. This is exacerbated by, erm, hormone issues this week. So I needed elbow macaroni with butter and salt this morning like a guy in a desert needs water. Luckily, I didn't just have butter--I had Amish butter which my aunt had purchased for a couple hundred bucks at the grocery auction (okay, no--but it's that rare product at the grocery auction that exceeds the cost of the non-Amish item at the grocery store). What I didn't eat, Milo (my mini-me) polished off.

When I got home from the library, I was suffering a from late afternoon, post-library "I need a nap NOW" condition--so I threw together burritos, chopped up some strawberries and called them the meal's fruit, and served that to the family. I ate one, then crawled to the back bedroom and passed out for about an hour.

When I woke I was feeling much better about things, so I went to the basement and started cleaning off my desk (if it seems like I'm always cleaning off my desk--well, I am. I'm just always messing it up, too). I even tracked down some cleaning spray and gave it a good rubdown. (Which led to me thinking that it's about time for me to buy a new $13 door and a can of paint to give my desk a fresh new look.)

It was my intention this evening to sit and watch a movie with Chris and work on the Orenburg sampler, because I was kind of hoping to cast-on the shawl tomorrow, but my brain had other ideas. In addition to comfort food, it wanted comfort knitting. So even though cleaning my desk led to knitting on some of the projects on my desk, I didn't turn the heel on the sock waiting to be turned. I didn't knit a few rows from the Orenburg charts. I did do a thumb.



And then I wove in some ends. Maybe a third of them.



So here's the status of the first Finnish Mitten so far.



Earlier in the day, I had discovered this crime scene:



Bad dog.

Luckily, I had another set of bamboo 7s--they're my short pair, but I only have the sleeves to go on this sweater, so I switched over to those. I'll have to get a new set of longer 7s in order to do Milo's matching sweater in green, but at least I can carry on another day with Ben's sweater.

Before I knew it, I'd abandoned anything more complicated in favor of simple

knit knit knit knit knit knit knit knit
lrup lrup lrup lrup lrup lrup lrup lrup
knit knit knit knit knit knit knit knit
lrup lrup lrup lrup lrup lrup lrup lrup
knit knit knit knit knit knit knit knit
lrup lrup lrup lrup lrup lrup lrup lrup

and then

knit knit purl purl knit knit purl purl etc.



Every bit as satisfying at the macaroni with butter and salt--only less fattening.

(That the sweater is 5 stitches to the inch helps, too. Progress is fast and visible.)

No comments: