Saturday, January 21, 2006

Dr. No and with good reason

I went to Sam's club today with Ben and Milo. I needed ink from Office Depot which shares a parking lot with Sam's club, and I needed eggs, butter, and cereal, all of which is cheaper there. I ended up buying a refill kit from Office Depot (but haven't had the guts to try it yet). At Sam's I bought the twins each a hot dog and then sat and did some knitting while they ate. Then we were off with list in hand and heading towards the back of the store. Milo positioned himself on the front of the cart facing out like a masthead. Suddenly a gentleman about my age, maybe a smidge older, steps in front of the cart, pokes Milo in the belly, and says something like, "How are ya?" Milo, my mini-me, is taken aback and has no immediate reply. He's still REELING from the fact that a stranger TOUCHED him! The man looks up and smiles genuinely at me. I smile back him -- you know, the kind of smile that says, "I'll let you live this time, isn't that nice of me? Next time though, I shoot first, ask if you're a "nice" guy later." His light dimmed a bit and he walked on. Poor shmuck. He's probably fine, but ya know . . . I recently learned that a guy in all my education classes in college is now listed as a registered sex offender. I googled up his name a few weeks ago to see if he was still in the same teaching-related job that he used to be and imagine my surprise . . . Yes, I'm sure it's him. And yes, he was a really "nice" guy. Anyway, just as the guy starts to walk away, Milo recovers his voice and YELLS "NO!"

I stopped the cart and walked around to the other end. I hugged Milo and said, "You didn't like it when that guy touched you, did you?" He said with great indignation, "No!" I said, "That's fine. And it's okay that you said no. Next time you can say No! right away and even louder." He said, firmly, "YEAH!"

So, huh. Take that. As the emperor would say in The Emperor's New Groove--"No touchie!"

Ok, the twinkies are desperate for some hot chocolate. I'm called to serve.

2 comments:

The Queen said...

Blessedly, my cartridge doesn't require the nail or hammer. It was *very* easy to use -- peel back sticker, insert refill thingy, squeeze, pull out, replace sticker, wipe the "other" end with the wet wipe. Done. I have the Office Depot refill kit for the HP 27 -- but my actual cartridge is the Office Depot generic version of the HP 27 and the ony thing keeping the hole on that closed is the sticker. The kit came with a cloth that you set the cartridge on while you work -- it absorbed any of the ink that came out the other end while you refilled. I found it MUCH easier than I'd heard, but I think I also got lucky and have an "easy" cartridge style.

Unknown said...

Bless little man, Milo.
People just don't think sometimes....

Our twins go around saying, "No touchie" complete with a goofy dance. Quite funny to me -- not so funny to their big sisters.