Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Cold Feet

All that's left to finishing the soakers I made for my little cousin Konrad is weaving in three strands of thread. That's it. I keep putting it off because I'm not convinced that it was all for nothing and won't fit anyway. I want to immediately launch into the second soaker, but use and entirely different waistband -- then send them both together in hopes that one will fit properly.

The danger with this is that if I get held up with work or an overabundance of boys sports activities then he could potentially outgrow BOTH soakers likety split. 3 month old boys are uncooperative like that.

In the meantime, I've been drowning my sorrows in my sweater. Now, progress on this has been slow because it's a lacey pattern and that means really, really paying attention to what I'm doing.

At some point I decided that part of my problem was also the bamboo circular needles I was using. So I went off to my neighborhood yarn store -- Stitch Your Art Out -- and bought a longer set with metal ends, telling myself that I'd knit faster. Hey! It wasn't just an excuse! It worked! It's a silky cotton blend and it flows over the metal in a way it just didn't over the bamboo. And, the whole thing is a lot more manageable on the longer needle. I knit a few rows yesterday and it really was nice to finish up a few rows in a short sitting instead of making it halfway across the row. I found myself thinking that maybe it was time to start haggling over end dates with myself. It's really a spring sweater, but it could be worn nicely under a cardigan.

I've been barely working for the last week. I had a few things coming across my desk that took an hour or two each morning, but that's it. So you'd think I'd have accomplished all this wonderful stuff, right? Like, all the laundry would be caught up and the whole house would be spit polished, and the kids would all be smarter, more polite, and better looking.

Sadly, all I have is a lot more spaghetti sauce and some grape jam. Oh, we've had our moments. I took the boys to the park today and we were even on time for his last football game. Preschool has been interesting to say the least. They sent the boys home with homework. Uh. Homework? Get this -- they sent them home with little fishing nets and told them to collect bugs to bring back tomorrow.

Oops -- off to another football game. Don't want to be late!

No comments: