Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Wed - nez - day

Tell me I'm not the only 37 year old who still has to say it like that it spell it right.

Wed nez day

Okay, I started off the day with a bit of a post-yesterday traumatic shock syndrome panic attack but then got out of my chair and got to work. It ended up being a pretty productive day in terms of work and homeschool even if I did nearly have to resort to violence to get the boy to redo his essay. His first draft was really terrific. For a second grader. So we did a second draft today. While waiting out his simmering anger (Hey, his father and I have the same temper. BOOM!!!! grrrrrrr . . . what? everything's cool!) I surfed the internet looking at writing curiculum options while laughing at myself.

I was *really* good at teaching writing back in the day. Fourth grade writing. Even my special needs kids made a full year's worth of progress. yep. But teaching my own kid writing makes me question my sanity and makes him hate my guts. At that moment anyway.

Sigh.

Anyway, even as I was deciding that next year Calvert sounded like a GREAT idea for maybe all THREE kids, his anger fizzled out. He got to work. He wrote his four paragraph essay on his bionicle and we called it a day. Phew. No blood shed.

But I bookmarked Calvert just in case.

It was a beautiful afternoon so I sat on the front porch for another thirty minutes blogging the silly blog below and just enjoying the cool air, the feeling of porch railing under my feet, the fun of waving to all the neighbors as the drove or walked by. I can see why old people do that. Makes you feel part of the neighborhood. Smile. Wave. Smile. Wave. Feel happy.

Then it got to being football time so I started getting Max ready. About this time I checked the crockpot and realized that the dinner I thought would be ready AFTER practice was most definitely already ready. So I explained to Chris what I'd had in mind even though he was a bit put off by the term "fajita." It was wicked simple since Milo is my only kid who will eat most vegetables -- lettuce, ranch, marinated and shredded lamb, rolled in a whole wheat tortilla. I made one for Max and I while Chris helped Max finish dressing. Then I grabbed my knitting and Max and I left Chris and the twinkies to feed themselves.

We went to football. Max footballed. I knitted. Two hours later we came home. On the way I stopped at Max's friend's house. His mom and I talked some more about the tooth situation. Long story, short -- boy feels no discomfort at all, so Mom is taking things nice and easy and exploring their options to find the least expensive way to handle things. Turns out Max's friend is the youngest of three boys and the oldest is 17. Explains the whole mellow approach to all of this. It's not her first rodeo. {{{mentally hugs her}}} So we talked some more about her big boys and then I took Max back home because he's still grounded.

And now I'm just trying to stay conscious long enough to get the kids to bed. Tomorrow -- more work. Group piano. One day at a time.

[Hey Eliza girl -- I'm FINALLY almost through 2 Nephi! (Does my touchdown dance.) I'm just so proud of myself for staying in the game even if I do still have to read 6 pages a day to pull this off. Oh yeah, and two months since my last cup of coffee :)]

No comments: