Sunday, February 12, 2006

He shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire

A year ago we had just entered into a contract on the house and were waiting for it to appraise. We'd made plane reservations for me to go to Pennsylvania for househunting at the end of the month. I was making Chris nuts insisting that he PACK MORE while he was dragging his feet for fear of jinxing the appraisal. I spent a lot of time at Realtor.com and trying to get it through the head of my realtor that he needed to give ME the WHOLE weekend I was coming out. (He still didn't catch on until the third day I was here, LOL.)

Not for all the money in the world would I go back to that. At the time we had adrenaline, we had hope, we had the flat-lining checkbook motivating us to Get Out of California. This morning as I was watching the kids play in the snow over on the public school grounds I was musing over all that we did between February 7 and the middle of May. We bought and sold a house, lived in Indiana for five weeks, did swim lessons for Max and the twins in the middle of all that, packed and unpacked, WORKED like a madwoman, got sicker than I can remember being in a decade while we were in Indiana, got Chris back into glasses for the first time in two decades, lost Jax the lizard to heat exposure, painted most of this house, did Max's standardized testing, etc. etc.

No wonder my mantra since has been "We are never, ever, ever, ever moving again." (That hasn't changed.)

Things have eased up since then. We'll do a more complete assessment in April, but for now, take my word for it--things are a LOT better.

1 comment:

Dy said...

I'm so glad. The move itself was hard on you, but it was such a good move for you all! Hard to believe it's been nearly a year already! WOW!

Dy