Friday, February 10, 2006

Setback for Team Boston

This just in
Pine Grove Mills, PA--Apparently the Powers that Be (PTB) have determined that Alaska can not use the portion of the child's sweater she already knit prior to the start of the Knitting Olympics (KO). When Alaska went to check the sleeve length on the child that volunteered himself for measurement she discovered much to her dismay that the sweater was going to be too small.

Yes, too small.

It's a setback for Alaska, but when interviewed, Alaska had this to say, "Well, I'd meant to enter the single child's sweater under pressure of a 50-to-60 hr workweek event, we really thought that would be enough seeing as how we're also out of bread so there's baking to do this weekend. But, I've had a serious equipment failure, so my coach has decided to enter me in the twin sweaters under pressure of a 50-to-60 hr workweek short one set of guidelines event instead." (Meaning I don't have the guidelines yet and when they show up work will go into hyper drive.) When this reporter pointed out that the new event sounded more challenging than the one she'd trained for, Alaska pointed out, "my coach says I can totally do it, I just need more chocolate. Besides, my roommate in the olympic village spent 4 hours just casting on, so really, it's possible that I just wasn't challenging myself enough."

I'm not pulling out the sweater. I'm setting it aside and knitting it sleeves later and then finding a second-cousin (or first cousin once-removed--what's the difference again?) to gift it to. I think Dana's girl might be big enough for it soon. I really do have WAY too much of this yarn. What crack was I smoking when I bought 15 miles of it?

UPDATE: The idea of doing two more of those sweaters in a single color made me want to poke my eyes out with my knitting needles, so I pulled all my pattern books off the shelf and found something still relatively simple, but definitely more visually interesting. Plus, I really love that the main trunk is done in the round. SO much better than

kniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
llllllrrrrrrrrrrrrruuuuuuuuuuup
kniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
llllllrrrrrrrrrrrrruuuuuuuuuuup
kniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
llllllrrrrrrrrrrrrruuuuuuuuuuup
kniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
llllllrrrrrrrrrrrrruuuuuuuuuuup

which is what I was faced with. Now I'll be knitting myself to death, but at least I won't have to sew up the seams when I'm done.

1 comment:

Staci Eastin said...

kniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
llllllrrrrrrrrrrrrruuuuuuuuuuup

ROFLOL!!!

That's exactly what it feels like.

Sending virtual chocolate your way!